Well, I'm Helen, one of the very few UK members on the Ken Curtis fan page. I grew up in Cornwall, which is the bottom left-hand corner of England, the bit that sticks out into the Atlantic Ocean. So the coastline and the sea is very much part of me. These days I live in NW England, in fact only about one and a half miles from the ancestral home of the Dodge family who founded Dodge City.
Growing up in the countryside, there weren't many other kids around, so I played out with the cattle on the other side of the garden fence, and practiced shooting tin cans off posts with a rifle. I always loved Westerns and often dressed up as an Indian and ran around with a homemade bow and arrow. I had my own pocket-knife, but was pretty useless at whittling. I don't actually remember Gunsmoke (or Gun Law as it was called in the UK) being on the TV, because I was a bit too young, but I'm pretty sure I would have seen it. I certainly remember watching The Virginian which was from a similar time period.
I was quite late coming to Ken Curtis really, although I must have seen him in his various films. I vaguely remember seeing Ripcord, but again, I was very young. I do remember parachutes suddenly becoming very popular, so that was probably why. I was off work and watching some daytime TV, and it was a colour episode of Gunsmoke. I really enjoyed it and was entranced by Festus, so I Googled Ken's name, had a look on YouTube, and was immediately hooked. From there I found the Facebook fan site and started my collection of Ken Curtis memorabilia. I seem to have rather a lot now!
What is your favorite piece of Ken Curtis memorabilia that you own?
That's a really difficult question! I have some beautiful original photographs from various times in Ken's life, several autographs and short notes he wrote, and original recordings going right back to some acetate 78s. But in many ways I think my favourite is probably something I acquired not very long ago. It is a small poster of Ken as Festus, drawn to mark the death of his old friend Milburn Stone, and given to the Gunsmoke stars. This one belonged to James Arness. Festus is crying but of course it also reflects Ken's enormous sadness. Ken wore his heart on his sleeve and wasn't afraid to be seen crying by others. It shows what a genuine person he was, quick to smile and quick to weep.
Another difficult question! I think overall, it would have to be The Searchers, not least because the first thing you hear as the film begins is Ken's beautiful singing. There is the rather obvious mismatch in the character through the film because John Ford told him to use his drylands* accent but forgot that quite a few scenes had already gone in the can without it, plus in some scenes he is serious and in others he is a bit clownish—again, Ford's fault entirely. But that fight scene at the wedding—that was just brilliant.
Do you think it would have been better if Ken played the role straight?
Well, a bit straighter! Ken was very good at light comedy, but there is a difference between a true comedy and humorous lines. The fight scene worked brilliantly because he and Jeff Hunter really went at it, but the pause to locate the fiddle owner was a masterpiece, and of course it reflected the humour from the other actors around it.
![]() |
| Curtis (right) and Hunter in the fight scene |
What is your favorite one of his songs?
Oh heck! I love them all. "Roomful of Roses" perhaps, or "The Hills of Utah." I've a big soft spot for "Breathless" too. I'll have to stick a pin in the list to choose—"The Dew's On The Meadow." Gorgeous.
What about Ken is special to you?
I suppose it has to be his lovely nature. He was a man of several talents, but despite his success throughout his life, he remained good old Curtis Gates of Colorado, an ordinary man who never forgot or tried to hide his humble beginnings or his plain, hardworking family and friends. How many Hollywood stars have there ever been who no-one had anything even remotely bad to say about them? Ken loved people, and he loved to entertain them and make them feel happy. He had the biggest heart and the sweetest soul—that is what makes him special to me.
Who are some of your other favorite actors or singers?
Well, apart from the Gunsmoke family, of course, I really like the character actors like Jack Elam, Strother Martin, Denver Pyle, Mark Lenard, Martin Landau, Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck, and Cameron Mitchell; and from my side of the Atlantic, James Mason, Cary Grant, Anthony Quayle, Sir John Mills, Toby Jones, John Simm.
I like many genres of music, so Placido Domingo, Freddy Mercury, Jeff Lynne, Sam Smith, Bob Dylan, Sammy Davis Jnr., Thomas Allen, Dolly Parton, Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand. And that's just a few! Many modern actors and singers can't hold a candle to the ladies and gentlemen of the 1950s and 60s.
Anything else you would like to add?
Well, I suppose I should add that I'm an animal lover. At the moment I have a crazy black cat and five very naughty chickens who understand perfectly well what "no" means but ignore it anyway. .. . Most of my spare time is taken up with music. I play four instruments and sing in a local choir.
Thank you, Helen!
Helen is an administrator for the Facebook fan group, "Ken Curtis : Before Festus."
Here is an interview with another Ken Curtis fan, Pam Allan.
*Curtis used what he called his "drylands" accent and the personality that went with it in comedy skits, such as the ones he did while he was with the Sons of the Pioneers. It was based off the dialect from the "drylands" of southeastern Colorado where Curtis was born and raised.

