July 24, 2019

Stuart Randall's Birthday



Stuart Randall, best known for his role as Sheriff Mort Cory on the popular TV Western Laramie (1959-63), was born on July 24, 1909. His birth name was Clarence Maxwell. He began performing in plays at school at a young age, and in 1929, he was bound for California with the intentions of becoming a full-time entertainer.

As Larry Sothern, he had a short-lived, but successful singing career, which was interrupted in a terrible way when he lost his voice. It took three years and several operations to restore his speaking voice; he was able to sing professionally again in 1938. (A few of his songs can be heard on Internet Archive, such as this one, if you search for "Larry Sothern.")

By 1940, he was shifting back to acting, but little is heard of him until a decade later. He reportedly enlisted and served in WWII, and returned to Hollywood under a new name in 1950. As Stuart Randall, his filmography includes supporting roles in dozens of movies and television series, and he worked alongside actors such as Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, and Tyrone Power. (He was scheduled to star in a film alongside Gloria Swanson in 1952, but the film fell through for financial reasons.)

According to the book Television Western Players, 1960-1975: A Biographical Dictionary by Everett Aaker, Stuart married a woman named Alma Miller on November 16, 1955. He was married at least once before, but his private life was kept private, even from co-workers.

He retired to Victorville, CA, in 1971, with his last film appearance being an episode of Alias Smith and Jones. He passed on June 22, 1988, at the age of seventy-eight.

Although he never became a true "star" or leading man, Stuart was an impactful actor who has a loyal fan base today. 

His biggest fan is probably Linda Darland, who manages a Stuart Randall Fan Page on Facebook and provided most of the above information. Here Linda and a few other members of the fan page share what makes Stuart and his career special to them:


I fell in love with Sheriff Mort Cory in 1961; I was eight years old. After Laramie went off the air, I forgot about my love, but then Laramie was aired for a few months in the 1980's and my love was renewed for awhile. Then Starz picked it up and there was my hero again. With all the technology available now, I have recorded all the episodes with Stuart Randall in them and set my DVR to record anything that had him as a guest star. I searched the internet and found IMDb. . . . I was in heaven!! The more I learned about his career, the more I wanted to learn about 'Stuart Randall, the man.' Well, I can tell you that there is virtually nothing about the man off screen. I contacted a family member only to learn that they knew next to nothing about him, but I did get permission to do the Facebook page and so the Stuart Randall Fan Page was born. It is a 'closed group', but we welcome most everyone who answers the posed three questions. If you want to know just about all there is to know about Stuart Randall, join us.

Although Mort Cory is my favorite character that Stuart portrayed, he has other excellent roles in movies and television. He was an excellent character actor who could portray the nastiest bad guy to the best good guy, all with professionalism and talent. It didn't hurt matters any that he was also a very handsome gentleman with a very distinctive voice and beautiful brown eyes.

My love affair has spanned nearly sixty years and will last as long as I do. My one big regret in life is that I never met Stuart. If I had known then what I know now, I would definitely have searched him out!

- Linda Darland


I love Mort because he was a sensible sheriff that could be tough when he needed to be, like he often was with Jess Harper. 

- Bruce 


I always thought he was the perfect sheriff. I had only remembered him from Laramie and other westerns. But, now I have seen him in other roles and he brings a certain depth to whatever role he plays. He makes acting look effortless and his voice is so smooth and distinctive.

- Jane


I heard of Stuart Randall when I was growing up. My mom listened to his records when his name was Larry Sothern—then when he started acting, my mom saw him on Public Defender (TV series, 1954), and she knew it Larry Sothern. . . . By that time he changed it to Stuart Randall. And I got to know him (as) Stuart Randall.

- Mert


I've seen him in Sugarfoot and Wyatt Earp, but it's Mort that I love the best. Calm, steady, and honest. After a couple of episodes, Mort is firmly established as a good lawman and a kind and caring and loyal friend to Slim and Jess and Daisy and Mike. As time went on Mort morphed into the lovable character we all know. As Bob (Robert Fuller) has said—Stuart brought stability to the role of the Laramie sheriff. Sort of a surrogate father to Slim and Jess.
It always cracks me up when, in "Broken Honor" (Laramie; season four, episode twenty-six) he puts Mose in charge of the jail and just sort of grins at the old guy's comment about it being like the old days—jail and a headache!

- Janet


I admire his "natural" way of acting. . . . He isn't "acting like the character," he's "being the character." He will always be Sheriff Mort Cory for me; but after seeing him in other roles I find him to be such a good solid character actor. His voice is so unique. Even if I'm in another room that voice is instantly recognizable. He's simply a joy to watch.

- Jeanie


Thank you to Linda and all the other Stuart Randall fans for their comments!